Grijalva Highlights Major Drop in Homeless Veteran Population, Urges Applications for $100 Million in Homeless Prevention Funds
Washington, D.C. – December 16, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva today highlighted a new report from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) showing a nearly 12 percent reduction in the nation’s veteran homeless population from January 2010 and January 2011 and urged applicants to pursue $100 million in recently announced grants to prevent veteran homelessness. Grijalva highlighted the funds in a recent press release available at http://1.usa.gov/vaHw9C.
According to a supplement to the Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress, provided by HUD each year, 67,495 Veterans were homeless in the United States on a single night in January 2011 – a significant reduction from last year’s single night count of 76,329.
Since 2009, HUD and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) – working with over 4,000 community agencies – have successfully housed a total of 33,597 veterans in permanent, supportive housing with dedicated case managers and access to high-quality VA health care. The complete 2011 Annual Homeless Assessment Report will be available in 2012.
“Nobody should be homeless in the United States, especially those who make so many sacrifices for the country, and to sit by while soldiers and their families sleep in the streets is unconscionable,” Rep. Grijalva said. “This report is good news and gives me hope that veteran homelessness really can be ended if we make smart decisions and devote the resources we need. Groups that can
help with any part of this problem – whether it’s counseling, financial services, job placement or anything else – should apply for this new funding and continue the great work they’re doing, because this is absolutely not an occasion to rest on our laurels.”
To learn more about the available grant funding, visit http://www.va.gov/homeless/ssvf.asp.
No related posts.
- Kirkpatrick announces $2.9 million TIGER grant for Hopi Tribe
- Lee & Associates Brokers 10-Year +, 109,060 SF Lease at Canal Crossing
- Local Company Signs 3-Year, 42,000 SF Lease for Chandler Warehouse Space
- Scottsdale’s Upscale Lincoln Plaza Shopping Center Sells for $25 Million
- Attorney General Horne Files Lawsuit In Joint Federal-State Mortgage Rescue Fraud Sweep
- Foreclosure Prevention Forum Set with Representatives from Wells Fargo
- Mitchell Attends SCORE's 2010 Phoenix Green Business Forum; Highlights Arizona Small Businesses, Green-Energy Industries
- Free Public Forum on Race in America: Building Bridges
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Available
- Community Housing Summit
- "Reflections on Visiting Taliesin West"
- Mortgage Interest Rates Hit New Low: How Does This Impact Investors?
- Phase One Sold Out At The Village at Paradise Reserve - sales Exceed Expectations Despite Economy
- Realtors Learn How Investors Help Housing Recovery
- Amerind: Sustainability Lexicon for Today's Real Estate Market